Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A 100 ft. Roll of Art Paper and a Caro-Nan Purse

Danny built a bird feeder, and needed some acrylic paint to finish it, so off we went to our favourite art supply store, Dick Blick. I'm as hopeless faced with art supplies as I am with stationary. There was no possible way we'd leave with, "just paint."

When I was in second grade, we had a school store that sold supplies before class. Coloured pencils, tins of watercolours, drawing paper-it was all too much temptation for me. The 50 cents I was expected to spend on lunch more often than not went to cray-pas pastels, or India ink. Believe me, the money was better spent on art supplies than the cold macaroni cheese and tinned green beans they had on offer. Eventually, some well-meaning teacher discovered I didn't have anything to eat, rang my mother and complained that children need to eat, I was busted, but my love for the smell of a fresh packet of crayons and Manila paper never did subside. With that in mind, you'll understand why I was compelled to purchase a 100 ft. roll of art paper. Imagine the potential! Kept in the car with a set of markers I have instant banner making tools, should the opportunity/need arise. Brought to the park, it can be a group activity. Oh, the world is a better place for 100 ft. rolls of art paper.

Speaking of things you can do with art supplies, here is my recently purchased Caro-Nan purse. Carolyn and Nancy made purses in the 60's and 70's and sold them to boutiques across the country featuring local landmarks. Mine is an Omaha purse made for Virgie's Town and Country, a long-gone boutique.

 I wore it for the first time today, and it really *did* make me happy carrying it.
 The lining is still in nice condition.
 I'm glad to have this purse, as my child was born in Omaha, and it will always be a special place if for no other reason.
Creighton and UNO are universities.


 Outfit Particulars:

Linen printed skirt-Hand-Me-Ups
Peach top-Goodwill
1970's Samuel Robert Ultra Suede jacket-Goodwill
Necklace/earrings-K Mart
Bakelite bangles-all over
 Vintage Naturalizer Shoes-Thrift World
Flower-Tiff and Tam
Caro-Nan purse-Brass Armadillo Antique Mall
Fragrance-L'Air du Temps


This Saturday is the Spring Affair plant sale in Lincoln, NE to benefit the statewide Arboretum. Info Here It is a wonderful sale, and if you're a local (or want to make the drive) it is worth attending. The good stuff sells out fast, so get an early start if you plan on attending. The lines will look frightfully long, but they move along quickly thanks to a dedicated team of volunteers that work the sale year after year. A quick look at the list of plants for sale will blow your mind. Really, it will. Or perhaps my mind is easily blown. Whatever. If  you're planning to attend, drop me an email and maybe we can plan on meeting up. A trip to Ruby Begonia's vintage clothing might be in the works as well. 



5 comments:

Sue said...

I have the same problem with stationery and art supplies, I have both stashed every where around the house, in my glove box in my car, in my hand bag etc. Now the Caro-Nan purse is stunning, and of course it made you happy!! loving your Spring colours you are wearing.

Bibi said...

Now that's a spring outfit!
Your hair looks springy too!
Dick Blick's is amazing. There used to be a 3 story one in San Francisco. I could wander the aisles for hours pondering all the possibilities. (Oh well, I like hardware stores for the same reason.) All of DB's employees used to be artists too, do they still do that?
Love those spring plant sales.
Our heatwave finally broke this afternoon when the furnace blast from from the baking Indian plains met the frigid air of the Himalayan heights- KA-BOOM!!!! Hail, sleet, lightning, thunder, & torrential downpour out of nowhere for about 4 hrs. Absolutely shredded my garden, AGAIN.

Curtise said...

Your outfit is pure Spring, and that Caro-Nan box bag is fantastic.
I always had a bit of a stationery thing as a kid - new pens/pencils, erasers and pads of paper, all clean and fresh. Lovely! xxx

Goody said...

@Sue
I knew you'd understand the need for creative materials.

@Bibi

Blick still employs artists, though the company was bought by mega-chain Utrecht. So far, it has the same staff at our location, and the teacher's discount is still being offered (I don't know how I could afford to shop there without it). I don't do much pen and ink work anymore (poor eyesight, arthritis, etc.) but when I did, they always the best employees to help with finding what I needed.

@Curtise
You've inspired me to wear more yellow, as you always look so smart in it.

Beth Waltz said...

There's a freeze warning in effect for us until 09:00 -- all the more reason to admire your totally put-together spring ensemble! Do like those spectator pumps. They remind me of the casual style of the great Donald O'Connor. Perhaps that's why they seem to put a jaunty spring in one's steps.

A 100' roll of doodle paper, a pack of Sharpies, and a few snacks and beverages equal the ingredients of a great party! Lemme see, a banquet room 40 x 20, or perhaps a smaller room with the paper taped to those 6' tables... Oh, and scissors provided so that the guests can carry off the selected sections!