Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Haroset-Alcohol And Nut Free

I was just reminiscing with Mr. Eat The Blog about my youth when Mother would send me to school with leftover Haroset on matzo for lunch. Can you imagine sending a seven year old to school with a sandwich of booze-soaked apples? Yeah, I didn't think you could. I reckon that would constitute child abuse today.

Anyway, I don't like kosher wine, and I'm allergic to nuts-so here's my recipe for haroset that should satisfy any busy-bodies that fear young children are being corrupted by generous splashes of Mogen David in the haroset.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup dried apricots, cut in half
1/2 cup dried dates, roughly chopped
Hot water to cover dried fruit
1 large apple, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Pinch of ground cloves
Concord grape juice-start with 1/4 cup adding more if needed

Soak the dried fruit for half an hour. Drain. Chop apple. Put everything into a blender. Add more grape juice if needed until you have a spreadable paste. Chill well before serving.

No comments: